Monday, October 30, 2006

I Love Hockey!!!



For an avid Canucks fan like me, the next best thing to an actual game is the Vancouver Canucks Super Skills. So, the kids and I and my dear friend, Fiona headed out yesterday afternoon to enjoy a day with the Canucks. I took a lot of pictures so I will post most of them in collages. If you want to see the pictures one by one, just ask me, I am more than willing to look at them again and again. (And I may add more when I look through Fiona's. She had some great ones too.)

Julia, Andrew, Alesha, Fiona


I love that...WE ARE ALL CANUCKS!!
Dan Murphy hosted the event. (who went to high school with Fiona and graduated from MEI. I want his job!)

First, they announced all the minor hockey league kids that were playing along with the Canucks (which I would have cared more about had they been my own children but I'm sure their parents were very proud.) Then they divided the Canucks into two teams...I couldn't decide if I should cheer for the blue or the white team because well, I love them all. So, I just cheered for everyone.

The fastest skater went to Luc Bourdon for the Canucks and Kate for the minor leaguers...yay, for women everywhere...thanks Kate!! (I didn't actually get a pic of Kate, because I only had 100 pictures left on my camera and I didn't want to run out. Hee Hee)

The Hardest Shot went to Sami Salo for the 4th year in a row...his highest was 100 miles per hour...crazy.



Then they had some fun by making Luc Bourdon and Alex Burrows do some stupid obstacle course and then Dan Murphy called them over to interview them and Ryan Kesler and Kevin Bieska came and threw pies in their faces...



They had a little ending line up and team photo and Sami Salo said 'Thank You' to the sponsors and the fans (that's us). Notice the pic at the top corner, that's Salo sitting with his kids...so sweet.


My Tribute to Markus Nasland -team captain! (I just realized that the top row, middle picture is actually my tribute to Kevin Bieksa (he's a cutie and may replace my Bertuzzi obsession) so I will just leave it in there.


My Tribute to Roberto Luongo - I love the pic in the bottom left corner. He is so great to watch. He kept almost every shot out of the net.



Photo Sharing - Upload Video - Video Sharing - Share Photos

Here is a short video of the three greats, Markus Naslund, Henrik Sedin and Josh Green trying to score on Luongo...but did not succeed!! (there is no sound attached with the video)


Andrew wanted so badly to catch something from the Fin Blimp or get a PSP or IPod (for his mom, of course) that Fin was handing out randomly to the crowd but we didn't win anything...except they got to take two of the targets from the Shooting Accuracy competition home (thanks to Fiona who knows to stick around a little after these sort of events...see her blog for what happens when you do...maybe next month, when she meets Bono!!)

We went to eat at KFC on the way home (mostly because Alesha was asking the whole way through the Super Skills "when are we going to eat? I am hungry." and when I asked her later on if she had a fun day, she said No because she was starving the whole time. Next time I will only take the avid hockey fans with me. :) )


We drove home (speaking of which, I actually drove to the game, which may not be a big deal to some people but is a huge deal for me. I have never actually driven in Vancouver before. Can you believe that?! I have lived in the Fraser Valley for 15 years and I have never driven in Vancouver...sad! But I did it! And it wasn't so bad...or maybe you will have to ask the others in my car.) Anyway the sky looked bizarre on the way home.



All in all, it was a delightful day, filled with fun and excitement...thanks Andrew, Alesha (even though you didn't have fun ;)), Julia and Fiona for being a part of it with me!!

The highlights will be shown tomorrow on Rogers Sportsnet before the game against the Predators...who knows, we may get our 15 minutes of fame!

No comments: